Thursday, February 14, 2013

Do You Green Smoothie?

Are green smoothies a fad just like anything else?   Perhaps, but I love being able to add greens to my diet without too much extra effort.  However, I have to remind myself that there is something to chewing your food! This girl wants to be able to take a bite out of an apple from time to time and I am not a huge fan of how celery changes the taste of my smoothies.

I try to always keep a stock of spinach, romaine or kale in the fridge and of course apples or pears.  My family and I are anticipating summer with its promise of fruit and greens bounty. Not to mention the way that I feel in the mood for a cold, refreshing smoothie much more so when it's warm outside than when I am trying to bundle up and keep warm.  Just give me a hot cup of tea or coffee!!

Here is my go to green smoothie recipe.  You really cannot go wrong on these...just don't try cabbage. lol



8 to 12 oz of water
apple or pear
1 banana
2 GOOD handfuls of spinach
1 wedge of lemon
1/2 an orange (if I have one on hand)
5 ice cubes

That is a common smoothie in my home but I have to switch it up or the citrus begins to irritate my mouth. Some of these variations may be blueberries and/or mango, strawberries, etc.  To help me get a good foundation for making green smoothies I invested in the Green Smoothie Revolution: The Radical Leap Toward Natural Health by Victoria Boutenko. There are several recipes, which seems to use almost every green, leafy variety.  

What about you? What is your "go-to"smoothie or have you tried them yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment