Thursday, April 4, 2013

Variety Feature: She is Going on a Cruise!

Nope. It's not me. Wahhhh!

Maybe when our children are grown and gone. Or maybe we can begin plans to farm out all these cuties. Any takers? Well, one can try, right?

In the meantime, my dear mother, Jeanne, is going on a cruise. Hey wait! Shouldn't she be a kid-taker?? Sorry, I digress.  As I was saying, she and her hubby are about to depart for a week long cruise and I was enlisted to help pick out a few additions to her wardrobe, including swim wear. With her permission, I am going to share most of our adventure, leaving the swim wear out. :)

First things first. Travel wear. She wants to be comfortable on her route there and being that it is still somewhat chilly around here and to keep within her budget, we opted to work with a pair of blue jeans and a shirt that she already has. Here is the before picture.

Jeanne, Mother of 4, Grandmother of 9

Roll up the pant legs and add some jewelry!
After our shopping trip, we changed up the sandals, added a few accessories and came up with this...
Nine West sandals found at Nordstrom Rack

Obviously this is not a dramatic change, but I've learned that those little details can make a big difference in achieving a "completed" look.  That is my objective. To look put-together and feel good in my own shoes, literally and figuratively, while working with what I have and maintaining our budget. I look to the fashion pros for inspiration but keep my wallet and priorities in check by reminding myself that I don't need to have all the latest trends to be stylish. There are bigger things going on around me. :)

Tidbit: Nude colored sandals/shoes can open a lot of options for your wardrobe. They go great with primary colors, whites, jeans etc.  If you prefer comfort over fashion than try investing in a good pair of casual, yet attractive shoes, even if it means you have to save up for awhile. Surprisingly, there are quite a few options when it comes to combining style and comfort.

Well, mom and I spent most of our time in Nordstrom Rack, which is where we also scored these Michael Kors White Jeans for around $25, along with a black tank to get her started on a suitable ensemble for dinner wear. The possibilities seem to be endless with a pair of white pants!

Having fun in the dressing room

***Has this ever happened to you??***

Arms heavy laden with various shirts and pants, we tromped into the ladies' dressing room at Nordstrom Rack. Rows of curtained cubicles lined our path, but one room stood out above the rest. It's curtains were wide open and the three-way mirror accompanied with pedestal, beckoned clothing hunters to come forth. The room was un-occupied so we entered and closed the curtains with gleeful triumph.  I could hang in the room and take pictures of the different outfits mom liked. This was going to great.

The process of elimination began and soon we had piles  of "to keep" and "to put back" started. Then as mom began trying on yet another shirt we felt a sudden gust of air as the curtains flapped open. Two women, with a young girl trailing behind entered to join our changing party.  They did not pause, say excuse me, or even acknowledge that we were there but settled into another corner of the room and proceeded to disrobe. I choked back my laughter and held my smirk tightly at bay because I was surrounded by mirrors and didn't want to let on that I was perplexed.  Mustn't look at mom. Mustn't look at mom.  Meanwhile, my eyes are searching around the room, save for that corner, for a sign that said, "Shared Dressing Room" or "Dressing Room is for Multiple Parties".  There wasn't one.  Oh well, we were all ladies. My mom went on with business as usual. However, it did moves us along faster and gave us a good laugh once we were out of earshot.  Has this ever happened to you??

******

Lastly, I wanted to share a picture of the outfit we chose for one of her formal dinners on the cruise.  

We both agreed this ensemble was very flattering!
Formal Wear...Very Pretty
TJMaxx was our other hot spot, where we found some bathing suits and capris but the best thing we walked away with was time spent together and more good memories!

So tell me my wonderful readers, have you been on a cruise? Do you have any tips for packing the right outfits to share?? Perhaps my hubby and I will go on one sooner than I think. :)



3 comments:

  1. Ah fun :) wish I could have been there to join in on the laughter and memories! I love how big of a difference those sandals made in the first outfit! Great job Chrissy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RoseyRoman. :) We will have to plan a travel/shop day that comes to you!

      Delete
    2. This was really fun and I have to say the dressing room experience was exactly that; an experience!!! :)

      Delete