Thursday, August 15, 2013

No Yucky Ingredients - Hamburger Helper

Our household loves pasta with cream sauces, but I am not a big fan of the canned creamed soups due to all the extra additives, hydrogenated oils, etc. Though often pushed to the last minute for getting dinner started, I thought I'd give it a go once more.

Here is what I threw together...


Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in the pan and whisk in equal amounts of wheat flour, until a paste forms. Begin whisking in 2 cups of milk and once it begins to bubble, add a teaspoon or two of the Better Than Bouillon. Season to your preference with salt, pepper and parsley. That's all I do for my white sauce.

I mix this in with my browned, ground beef and pasta. For veggies and greens I threw in a handful or two of spinach and some sauteed summer squash. This dish is ready to be served to the young men clamoring around the kitchen.

Of course I always want to fancy up my own plate hamburger helper, by adding sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms and extra spinach. Let them say what they will - it's good!!






It is not always convenient to whip up my own cream sauce, but I know we are better off without the yucky ingredients in the can. Do you have a cream sauce recipe you could share?

2 comments:

  1. thanks for that... I can easily do that....but I'm lazy! lol P.S. that milk jug says "not for human consumption"?????..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the lazy, which is another reason why we don't have it much. The boys asked me the same thing about the milk the other day! I had to explain that Georgia only permits the selling of raw milk for pet consumption.

    ReplyDelete