Friday, July 4, 2014

Patriotic Colors & Date Night Ramblings




Banana Republic, Loft and Target clearance finds pair together for a quick patriotic ensemble. It was a rare date night opportunity and this seemed to fit the outside venue.

****Thoughts & Ramblings****

"Would you like tickets to the orchestra?"
"Would you like me to take the boys for the weekend so you can go?"

You had me at take the boys.  Without knowing where or what the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra would be playing I checked our calendar and said "deal".  Because it did not matter! All I really heard was "take the boys for you".

We hugged our boys goodbye and gave my mom an extra hug for the gift of time she was bestowing upon the hubs and I.  Our first evening was business as usual, running some errands and grabbing a bite to eat.  The second day, I began to truly unwind and remembered how much fun we have together as a couple.  No interruptions. No worries about what's for dinner. No demands and no extra messes.  It was just the two of us, with no schedule and it was fun.

We headed out to the Verizon Amphitheater, acting more the part of couples who enjoy each other rather than just partners who help each other raise children and run the household.

I am aware that every couple needs to take a step back from the hustle and bustle of life to re-connect. I know this but making it happen is far more challenging than one would expect.  Before I realize it our calendar fills up with everything but quality time for my spouse.  It takes someone handing us the keys to free time!  However, I think we should do more than wait for opportunities to come along.

This may not be a weekly date for us, but I do see some getaways in our future with dates in between.  I understand that it takes planning, work and discipline to farm out children, clear the calendar, and/or set aside some extra money in able to do more than talk about time together.

In short, I want RECENT memories of good times together so when frustrating moments arise (and we know they will!!) I can choose to dwell on them.  I want our children to know that their dad is my best friend and most cherished human relationship - worth clearing the calendar for.

How do you make time for your spouse? Any tips to share?

A light dinner

Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

1 comment: