Thursday, August 25, 2016

Dressing for Work in the Unpredictable Fall

School is back in session and football games are up on the calendar. My mom already has pumpkin coffee stashed in her pantry. All signs point to fall, but it's only August, and for those of us in Georgia, instead of cool breezes and crisp air, we're experiencing heavy rains, temps in the high 80's and 90's with humidity that leaves you breathlessly in need of a shower after mere minutes spent outside. Just the same, the weather can still surprise you with a cool morning. Who knows.

Even if it's hot outside does the office feel like a meat locker with an air vent blasting right over your work space? Then the only solution is to layer.

There are lots of options for layers in the fall such as: blazers, cardigans, denim jackets, scarves and even the latest trend - kimonos!

Inspired by the collage to the left, I decided to style a couple outfits from my own closet.

With my first ensemble, I went with a pencil skirt, button up top and a kimono for my extra layer.

 ***Kimonos & Pencil Skirts***




For a little variety, I tried the same skirt and top but changed to a kimono vest and flats.


Top: LOFT/ Vest: Marissa Jill Boutique /Skirt: LuLaRoe / Flats: Baldino / Necklaces & Earrings: Premier Designs
Bag: Target

****Black Skinnies & Chambray****

One of my personal favorites is to style black skinnies with a simple white oxford and jacket. 



Blazer: Banana Republic / Oxford: Chicos /Skinnies: WHBM / Shoes: Nordstrom Rack
Jewelry: Premier Designs / Backpack Purse: Clarks

If I'm out and about and humidity strikes, I can remove the jacket without feeling under dressed. When planning the fall wardrobe, it's best to refrain from outfits that look strangely remiss or incomplete without a third layer.  Am I the only one that adds a third layer to hide bulges or bra lines from time to time? Yeah. I'll save those for the winter.

Another aspect of fall is the continued use of sandals and open toe shoes. I'm taking full advantage with some of my favorites in these ensembles. The heeled sandals (or wedges) are both clearance finds at Nordstrom Rack, while the flats were actually given to me.

***How about those men?***

What do those men do? Sure they layer, but not every guy is a cardigan kind of man. Could it be that their most important layer is what lies beneath the clothing that we see? With the right undershirt or even underwear, (like these from Tommy John??), guys can keep warm or cool depending on the fabric and quality of material. I'm going to test this theory out of my husband for sure.

Sweating in that suit? Take off the jacket and then rest assured that your undershirt is absorbing and drying quickly.


What are your favorite styles for business casual in the fall? And what do you think is the secret to men staying comfortable, but fashionable in unpredictable weather?

Chrissy

25 comments:

  1. Love this post! Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your so talented! I think I need to hire you as a stylist:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is great! Photographer great and model is fabulous! Not to mention the clothes loving it! You did a great job! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christa. We had a great time. :)

      Delete
  4. great tips! All your outfits look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrissy, love this post. Your style is spot-on, however, you can wear anything and look awesome! Keep stylin' and bloggin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and encouragement! :)

      Delete
  6. Great looks. Love the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up to Top of the World Style. Great outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In San Jose we won't really get fall weather until Halloween. Sigh. So yeah, layers are a good idea! Thanks for sharing with Fun Fashion Friday and have a fab weekend!

    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    https://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. San Jose. Sounds lovely and should probably go on my list of places to visit. Thank YOU for commenting. It's what makes blogging fun.

      Delete
  9. Chrissy, I am loving both your kimono and your kimono vest! So my style. I never thought of pairing a kimono with a pencil skirt, but it is so adorable and chic. And I always have at least two layers on no matter the weather. When it cools down a bit, I definitely always wear three layers. I am a huge lover of layers!

    Thanks for linking up with me On the Edge of the Week! I hope to see you again next week. Have a fabulous weekend!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelbee! I'm with you on the layers. It's bad for me. It's as if the outfit is not complete without the extra layer. Gone are the days of a simple top and pair of jeans.

      Delete
  10. Love the skinnies with the white shirt...so chic!
    xo Yvonne
    www.aproposh.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up to Top of the World Style

    ReplyDelete

  12. Replica Rolex Watches includes a longstanding history retailing probably the most esteemed, important, and costly Origina Replica Breitling on the planet. Especially of note to collectors are Rolex Submarine from Patek Philippe and Hermes handbags,This is among the later cases of a luxury 1:1 Replica Rolex Watches?the practice was stopped by Julia?in early 1990’s, making this Omega Watches and Tag Heuer Watches much more desirable.

    ReplyDelete