Sunday, July 2, 2017

Off the Shoulder: I Hate You, I Love You


"You're a grand old flag, you're a high flying flag!"

"Oh Beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain!"

"Oh say can you see, by the dawn's early light..."

Hello! Instead of cooking out and watching fireworks this weekend, we worked on our younger boys' room and the garage. What is wrong with us?? Well, I've made the decision to homeschool my 8 year olds and from it an urgency to get the house in order developed. Can you blame me? I foresee more time at home - or not. Only time will tell, and don't feel too bad for our reclusive-selves, the festivities aren't over! We still have the 4th to celebrate ,and celebrate we shall. We will join some friends for a cookout, where the kids can swim and play messy games while the adults eat and chat.

Until then, I'll bask in the fruits of our labors up to this point. With extra money going into the home, there's less money for fashion play, so today's outfit features nothing new.

The dress hails from Target's clearance last season! Clearance finds thrill me. I've picked up items as low as $6 for a great pair of shoes. In fact, these shoes were a $6 find! Keep those deals coming!


Now. Allow me to pause for a moment to talk about this off the shoulder dress. I like how it looks. I like how it hangs. However, the shoulders drive me CRAZY! I can't lift my arms without the sleeves popping up to my neck. It's a choking hazard. I demonstrated for a friend of mine and She laughed in agreement. Look! It's almost happening in the picture above. I fidget constantly trying to keep the sleeves down. That being said, do you have a love-hate relationship with this trend?




When it behaves, the style flatters the shoulders from the front or back view. WHEN it behaves. Ok. My rant is over.

We can move onto the accessories, but no worries we won't hang there for long. They're old, but well-loved. I added the scarf from Express for warmth in the air-conditioning and I just liked the print. The shoes and the clutch were of course added for their patriotically festive flair. They are about the only red pieces I own.  There's plenty of navy in the closet, but little red. Should I remedy this? (Not while we are working on the house of course.)



Finally, silver seemed to "fit" the scheme, so I added my stiletto earrings, bangle and stretch bracelet set. The necklace was an easy throw on and then it was out the door!

Outfit Breakdown
White Dress: Target (VERY similar with 20%off)/Wedges: Target (Similar)/Scarf: (SimilarFun Floral Option), Premier Designs (20% Off through the 4th!)

Well, that's all my reader friends. I hope you have a wonderful 4th of July! Please enjoy these snap shots I grabbed at church with friends dressed in reds, whites and blues. I'm a goofball. What can I say??




SaveSaveSaveSave

10 comments:

  1. I'm with you- I love the way an off-the-shoulder piece looks, but when it doesn't STAY PUT, it's super annoying!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misery loves company, so thank you for visiting and commenting, Ashley! 😉

      Delete
  2. Pretty, pretty dress! I really like how you styled it. Yea, I am feeling you on this trend. I love how it looks, but it isn't the most practical for real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennie! I've been told that the right one makes all the difference. We shall see...:)

      Delete
  3. Very pretty dress! Love the shoes too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trina! I hope you have a fabulous 4th!

      Delete
  4. Oh man I was so hesitant to try off the shoulders and the ones I tried did not work so I didn't get them and swore off off the shoulder. However there are some that totally work and you just have to try them out to see if they do. I will say that lifting kids or having small children make this trend a lot harder, but there are good ones out there! I do love the dress and I LOVE a good deal!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok! I will keep trying though. Thank you for the encouragement and of course thank you for commenting - makes my day! ;)

      Delete
  5. Laughing out loud to your title, its brilliant. I know what you mean as I love off the shoulder too but I agree some can be very uncomfortable, but I still like wearing them for summer. I think this dress looks fab on you and I love your jewelry too.
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - thank you! It's always nice when someone gets your humor. :) I'm going to keep trying on the off shoulder trend, b/c you're right. It's great for summer! Thank you for commenting Nora. :)

      Delete